The 1911 Census shows that he was 16 years old, had been born in Llandovery and was already working as a Carpenter for his father, Thomas Williams, alongside his brothers; He had 5 siblings – David, Llewelyn, Maggie, William and Rachel. His mother was also a Rachel and they lived at 31 New Road Llandovery.
As well as being a carpenter, Peter was also a very good artist. A copy of his artistic work can be seen in the Museum together with the Oak Bardic Chair the Williams Brothers made from wood salvaged from the rafters of Vicar Prichard’s House which was offered to the Royal National Eisteddfod. For some reason (possibly because it was not sufficiently ornate enough) it was not accepted by them and was awarded instead at the Cilffriw Eisteddfod in Glamorgan. The recipient, the Revd W.T. Hughes, Nantyglo, had won chairs at several Eisteddfodau and considered this chair to be among the best.
In 1948 the Chair was presented to the Welsh Congregational Church in Bristol following the rebuilding of the church after wartime damage. Fortunately for us the chair eventually made its way back to Llandovery, where it sits below the self portrait of Mr Williams which was kindly donated by his nephew, the late Mr. Gwynne Williams of Cilycwm Road.