David Lloyd Jones of Penybont Llandovery spent the greater part of his life sheep farming in Australia but he retained a warm and generous heart for his native town.
We know that he built Almshouses for the poor and deserving widows of the locality and his generosity didn’t stop there – he presented the town with the old the Vicar Prichard’s House and a site for the erection of a Public Hall.
A public meeting was held in the Town Hall in April 1890 to consider the scheme for restoring Vicar Prichard’s House and erecting Assembly Rooms on the adjoining site. Sadly the House was never restored but the Assembly Rooms were built.
The formal opening of the “Lloyd Jones and Vicar Prichard Memorial Drill Hall and Assembly Rooms” took place on the 18th February 1896.
Today the name “Lloyd Jones” in connection with the Drill Hall seems to have been lost. He made many other donations to the town through his charity “The Lloyd Jones Charity” but the giving of the Vicar Prichards House and adjoining land is certainly one we should remember.