This is Gerwyn House, Market Square, Llandovery, home to the Y.M.C.A. One hundred years ago it served much the same purpose; it was called Church House and in 1914 the Young Mens Guild had taken possession for their socialising. They would play bil-liards, sit in the comfy armchairs to read books and newspapers and pass convivial evenings in each oth-ers company. And then war was declared… The following is an extract from the local paper of the time-” YOUNG MEN’S GUILD-At a general meeting of the Young Men’s Guild the vicar, the Rev. D. Ed-mondes-Owen, presiding, it was unanimously decided to transfer the Guild during the war to the offices of the late Mr. T Phillips, of Picton Court. The full sized billiard table will be left in the Church House and the smaller table, which in times gone by has done good service, will until the guild returns to the Church House be in regular use. Every member deemed it his privilege as well as his duty to give up his very com-fortable quarters in the Church House for the sake of the wounded who have been risking limb and life for our safety”
‘RED CROSS HOSPITAL.— Through the energy and devotion of the members of the Red Cross Society the Church House has been in an astonishingly short space of time transformed into a well-equipped hospital for the wounded. The large hall has been converted into a ward with 24 beds….