Daniel and Mary Jane Jones lived at Lower Lodge, Cynghordy. Daniel was a railway Plate Layer but although he worked on the railway, Daniel was very much a local man, born and bred in the area that was then known as ‘Fforest’. His father, Rees, had farmed at Moelfre and later Gwernmoch.
The first and third sons of Daniel andMary, John and James, enlisted in Ammanford and joined the 15th (Carmarthenshire) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment and were in ‘B’ Company. Their second son, also Daniel, joined the 6th Battalion, South Wales Borderers. These young men were the eldest of seven children and they all went to fight for King and Country.
Nothing is known of their exploits until July 10th 1916. The Battalion went into action early that morning with the objective of capturing the now infamous, Mametz Wood. The two brothers were last seen alive by their officer on the 11th July, when their company had cleared part of the Wood of the enemy but was being continuously shelled,several shells falling directly amongst them. It is assumed that both James and John were killed by the same shell, nothing was ever found of them and they have no known grave. News of their death did not reach home until August. Daniel, though wounded, survived the War.
John was 23 years of age and James 19.
There is an exhibition in the Museum in the Castle Hotel where you may see photographs of the brothers, their Death Plaques and the letter written to their parents from their officer.
Information and photos kindly provided by the family.